Sometimes you are offered a special gift for booking a cruise... On-board credits, free drink packages, an excursion, or spa package. The cruises do not include what you do on shore, but will offer shore excursions. If you go off the ship, make certain you get back before the sailing.
There are some things you need to know about on-board cruise expenses. Everything gets placed on your room key-card. You are asked for a credit card number prior to boarding the ship. You still have the option of paying the purser for all your extra charges in cash or with a different credit card - prior to leaving the ship.
- Tips can range from $10 to $25. per day for housekeeping. Bar tips, pool tips, massage tips and salon tips are separate expenses. Also the dining room captain & wait staff.
- The excursions booked on board may seem pricey, but the ship chooses to work with insured companies with a good reputation.
- If you are a heavy drinker - understand each bar fee is added to your final bill. Some who like soft drinks, use the beverage package and wine lovers - the wine packages offered.
- If you gamble or buy in the ship's stores, that is always a separate fee on your room key.
- Bills are given mid-trip and the final evening.
- Salon visits or trainers can be pricey, so if you are a heavy user of spas, massage, you may want their special packages. In port days, you will find good discounts at the spa.
- Most offer a Unique - High-end restaurant. Nice, but not necessary.
- The mini-bar in your room is very pricey and added to your key-card.
- Music, entertainment, food (including in your room), children's events are mostly free.
These are some well known and very enjoyable cruise lines.
We found this amazing resource for those who want to drive to the port stay a night or two in the city and explore - then be transported to the cruise ships at the port and return after the cruise for your car.
Use this great link to find the cruise ports near you.